Monday, September 25, 2017

Sleeveless Dress


This week, I'm going to meet someone that I've worked with for a while, but have never met in person. When he let me know he was going to be in town (and by "in town" I mean within an hour's drive), he said that I'm on the list of people he wants to meet...and also on the list is the Pope.



Being in such esteemed company as the Pope, I decided I needed to do something special. Since I don't have a Popemobile, I put my talents to good use and whipped up something to wear for this momentous occasion.

After consulting with the weather, I determined that a light, sleeveless dress would be appropriate. It's September and it's been in the 90s for days, and don't get me started on how it's been hotter this past week than it was for the whole month of August...

Plus, Joann's had an overlapping pattern sale - McCall's for $1.99 through Thursday and then Butterick starting at $1.99 the same day. Another digression - how do they stay in business? I bought a bunch of patterns and some fabric for my dress, I spent about $60 and my receipt said I saved $157 dollars. I'm not complaining...

Back to the dress. This is McCall's pattern M6957. Very simple: three pieces, pullover style, no zippers, no big whoop. My first project back in my sewing room needed to start off easy to get me back into the groove.

I didn't make any changes to this one because it was so basic and that's what I was looking for. I serged all the seams and used my coverstitch machine to do all the hems (neck, arms and bottom hem).


Just a reminder on exactly how cool my coverstitch machine is, this is what it does:

Damn that shit looks professional!

I think I'll layer it with a light long-sleeved cardigan for cool inside temps. #planning

And, I am officially retiring Penelope (my dressform), since she broke a leg during the moving in and out of the house after the fire. Not to worry, I have a new snazzy one that's fully adjustable...I figured I can treat myself!