Saturday, January 2, 2016

Duffle Bag

This is how I spent New Year's Day. My grandmother used to say that a seam isn't strong until it's been ripped at least once. If that's true, then this bag will be bulletproof.


This is my version of the Cargo Duffle (free pattern available here for download at Robert Kaufman).  Hint - if you have trouble with gussets (I certainly did), check out the actual pattern designer's site here because it gives a much clearer explanation of how to attach the gusset. I found the instructions on the Kaufman site to be a bit confusing. I learned a lot from this project. This was also a project of firsts for me. Let's recap.

Walking Foot

I got a set of presser feet and so far had only ventured to use the zipper foot (the entire reason for the purchase). However, this project used some heavy fabric (outdoor fabric and thick cotton duck) so I tried the walking foot and YASSSS. Makes feeding multiple layers of heavy fabric through the machine so much easier and less frustrating. This walking foot may have been the single thing that saved my sanity.

Piping


This was also my first experiment using piping. I think it turned out pretty good (and on the first try)! Nevermind the fact that I had to rip the seams MULTIPLE times whilst trying to get that darned gusset right, and don't pay any attention to the fact that I forgot not once, but TWICE to insert the bag handles (after ripping the seams yet again).

Pin Injuries

Who knew that pins could be so dangerous? I stuck myself so many times trying to pin this thing together. Need some clippy things (after the 1 inch long scrape I got, I resorted to binder clips).

Overall Review

I thought it was a good pattern and the right size bag for what I was looking for (an overnight/weekend bag for my niece). The instructions on the Kaufman site are kind of confusing. I also don't quilt, so I skipped all that in the instructions. I also didn't have it in me to make fancy pockets so I just went with a single simple pocket (finished with bias tape) on the front. 

I was going to insert D rings on the gusset right at the end of the zipper to allow for a removable strap but abandoned ship when my machine just could not get through that much fabric. 

I don't like that this bag isn't lined. There is someone else who did a lined version of it. I just wound up using the rest of the flaming pink bias tape I used on the pocket. The fabric I used frayed like nothing I've seen so it had to be bound in some way to keep all the unraveling under control

Since I had some extra fabric and piping left over, I made a little zippy pouch (because who doesn't need a zippy pouch?) with the excess.