Sunday, February 14, 2016

Storm Trooper Bag

I'm a Star Wars nerd and proud of it. Picked up some (more) storm trooper fabric and decided to try making something reversible. Why not?



Materials

Side 1 Fabric (2): 9" x 9.5"
Side 2 Fabric (2): 9" x 9.5"
Side 1 Bottom (1): 9" x 6"
Side 2 Bottom (1): 9" x 6"
Strap Tabs (4): 4" x 2"

2 buttons
2 d-rings
2 strap clasps
1 strap slider
Elastic cording (thin)
Fusible fleece (2): 8.5" x 9"
Nylon webbing (size of your choice, I used 1") or additional fabric to create a fabric strap.


Attach Bag Bottom

I didn't want my bag bottom to have a seam down the middle, so I first fused the fleece to the wrong sides of my Side 1 fabrics and then put them right sides together and sewed them together just along the bottom. I also overcast it because I can. 



Flip them over so right side is up and find your bag bottom for Side 1. I used a textured vinyl. Fold over the long edges 1/2" to create a hem and then topstitched the bottom to the Side 1 assembly. Use a longer stitch when sewing with vinyl.

Repeat the same process for the Side 2 fabrics and bottom.

Measure where you want your button to be placed (this will be the "front" of each assembly). Sew a button on to the front of both Side 1 and Side 2 assemblies. I think this is the easiest point to do this, I wound up not doing it until I had sewn the bag along the top and it was just a little harder to maneuver through the gap to attach the buttons.


Create Strap Tabs

Take 2 strap tab pieces and sew them together, right sides together, only on the sides. Turn it right side out and press. Topstitch along each side.

Slip the tab through a D-ring and sew the tab closed. I use a zipper foot to get as close as I can to the D-ring so that it stays put. I then overcast the bottom to keep it closed.

Sew the Bag

Take your Side 1 assembly and fold, right sides together. Make sure the hem of the bottom lines up when folded in half.

Stitch along each side at 1/4" - backstitch at the top. You can backstitch at the bottom if you like but it's pointless because that's going to get cut when we box the corners.

Measure a 1" box out of the corners and cut this out. Press these together to form the box bottom and sew together. I overcast these as well.


Turn both Side 1 and Side 2 bags inside out. Insert Side 2 into Side 1 (so right sides are together) and line up the top hems and side seams.


At the side seams, place your strap tab D-ring down and pin or clip in place.

Stitch at 1/4" around the top, leaving a gap for turning on the side OPPOSITE of the buttons. This is important because we're going to position the elastic after we turn this out, and the edgestitching is going to hold the elastic in. Here's what it looks like before stuffing it together. Note that the buttons are on the same side, mirror images. We'll put the elastic loop on the side that's facing down, where the gap was left for turning.



Turn right side out and stuff Side 2 into Side 1.  Find your elastic cording and determine how long you want it to be - make a loop and knot it. The cord is going to go into the gap, so find the center and pin or clip it, knot down into the seam. Fold in the edges in the opening of the fabric to close it, and pin or clip in place.

Edgestitch (and I mean EDGE stitch) around the entire bag, ensuring you are closing the opening and catching the elastic loop.

Make Straps

Depending on what kind of strap you want, there are several different options. I made a simple adjustable strap using nylon webbing. Refer to the adjustable strap bag for info on creating adjustable straps.

Clip on the straps and you're ready to roll! And I even made myself a matching wallet...